Dialogic teaching and learning
The cutting edge of understanding of effective teaching and learning is now focused on ‘dialogic teaching’, about which Alexander and Mercer have made exceptional contributions. For summaries and applications, see:
- Alexander, R. (2008) Towards Dialogic Teaching: Rethinking Classroom Talk, Cambridge: Dialogos. (Reading 12.3)
- Littleton, K. and Mercer, N. (2013) Interthinking: Putting Talk to Work, Abingdon: Routledge.
- Mercer, N. and Littleton, K. (2007) Dialogue and the Development of Children’s Thinking, London: Routledge. (Reading 11.6)
- Nystrand, M. (1997) Opening Dialogue: Understanding the Dynamics of Language and Learning in the English Classroom, New York: Teachers College Press.
- Wegerif, R. B. (2013) Dialogic: Education for the Internet Age, Abingdon: Routledge.