Learning and teaching through life
The connections between school education and lifelong learning, and their consequences, are explored in:
- Riddell, R. (2010) Aspiration, Identity and Self Belief: Snapshots of Social Structure at Work. London: IOE Press.
- Evans, K. (2009) Learning, Work and Social Responsibility: Challenges for Lifelong Learning in A Global Age. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Hodgson, A., Spours, K. and Waring, M. (2011) Post-Compulsory Education and Lifelong Learning Across the United Kingdom: Policy, Organisation and Governance. London: IOE Press.
For longitudinal studies of social influences on pupil learning and careers at school, see:
- Pollard, A. with Filer, A. (1996) The Social World of Children’s Learning, London: Cassell.
- Pollard, A. and Filer, A. (1999) The Social World of Pupil Career, London: Cassell.
- Filer, A. and Pollard, A. (2000) The Social World of Pupil Assessment, London: Continuum. Biesta, G., Field, J., Hodkinson, P., Macleod, F. and Goodson, I. F. (2011) Improving Learning Through the Lifecourse: Learning Lives. Abingdon: Routledge.
The long-term consequences of schooling are quantified in:
- Feinstein, L., Vorhaus, J., and Sabates, R. (2008) Learning Through Life: Future Challenges. Foresight Mental Capital and Wellbeing Project. London: The Government Office for Science.
There is now a substantial literature on the challenges of transition to, and transfer across, sectors of the education system. The following titles include several on the initial adjustment to school in the early years as well as the move from primary to secondary school.
- Nicholls, G. and Gardner, J. (1998) Pupils in Transition, London: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Fabian, H. (2002) Children Starting School: A Guide to Successful Transitions and Transfers for Teachers and Assistants, London: David Fulton.
- Brooker, L. (2002) Children Starting School: A Guide to Successful Transitions and Transfers for Teachers and Assistants, London: David Fulton.
- Waterhouse, S. (1991) First Episodes: Pupil Careers in the Early Years of School, London: Falmer.
- Pianta, R. and Kraft-Sayre, M. (2003) Successful Kindergarten Transition, London: Paul Brookes Publishing Co.
- Rader, D. and Harris Sittig, L. (2003) New Kid in School: Using Literature to Help Children in Transition, London: Eurospan.
- Measor, L. and Woods, P. (1984) Changing Schools, Milton Keynes: Open University Press.
- Galton, M. and Willcocks, J. (1983) Moving from the Primary School, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Galton, M., Gray, J. and Ruddock, J. (2003) Transfer and Transitions in the Middle Years of Schooling (7 - 14): Continuities and Discontinuities in Learning, London: Department for Education and Skills (443).
A book that will provide insights into the quality of children's life outside of school and within urban environments is:
- Christensen, P. and O'Brien, M. (2002) Children in the City, London: RoutledgeFalmer.