To reflect on classroom management and discipline
To reflect on classroom management and discipline using the Elton Report's `principles or classroom management'.
1. Know my pupils as individuals - names, personalities, interests, friends?
2. Plan and organise both the classroom and the lesson to keep pupils interested and minimise the opportunities for disruption - furniture layout, pupil grouping, matching of work, pacing lessons, enthusiasm, humour?
3. Involve pupils in establishing the rules for classroom behaviour and routinely reinforce why they are necessary?
4. Act flexibly to take advantage of unexpected events rather than being thrown by them?
5. Continually observe or 'scan' the behaviour of the class?
6. Remain aware of, and control, my own behaviour, including stance and tone of voice?