To evaluate the beginning of a session and to consider areas for improvement
To evaluate the beginning of a session and to consider areas for improvement.
Evidence and reflection
Video record a session you have taught or observe someone else’s lesson. Consider what happened in terms of the following questions.
- How did the teacher attract the children’s attention?
- Did the teacher explain the objectives of the session?
- What did the teacher use as a stimulus at the start of the lesson and how effective was this?
- Were the instructions to the class clear?
- Did the children know why they were doing this activity?
- Did the children know what they were going to learn from it?
- Did the children know if any follow-up is expected?
- Did the children know on what criteria their work was to be assessed?
- Did the children know how this activity links with other work they had done or would do next?
What specific actions could be taken for improvement? What general skills need to be worked on?