The meaning of reflective teaching
For an overview of reflective teaching try these texts, in addition to those mentioned above:
- Hayton, L, K. (1990) ‘Reflection and Professional Knowledge: A Conceptual Framework’, in C. Day, M. Pope and P. Denicolo (Eds), Insight into Teachers’ Thinking and Practice, London: Falmer.
- Calderhead, J. and Gates, P. (1993) Conceptualizing Reflection in Teacher Development, London: Falmer.
- Zeichner, K. M. (1983) Alternative Paradigms of Teacher Education, Journal of Teacher Education, Vol XXXIV, 3, pp3-9.
- Zeichner, J. M. and Liston, D. P. (1987) Teaching Student Teachers to Reflect, Harvard Educational Review 37, 1, pp23-49.
- Tabachnick, R. and Zeichner, K. (Eds), (1991) Issues and Practice in Inquiry-Oriented Teacher Education, London: Falmer.
There are a number of texts which have a more professionally oriented approach to help teachers understand the process of reflection.
- Rushton, I., & Suter, M. (2012a). Reflective practice for teaching in lifelong learning. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Rushton, I., & Suter, M. (2012b). Reflective Practice for Teaching in Lifelong Learning. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Tarrant, P. (2013). Reflective Practice and Professional Development. London: Sage
- Brockbank, A., McGill, I. & Beech, N. (2002). Reflective Learning in Practice. Aldershot: Gower
- Dymoke, S. (2013). Reflective Teaching and Learning in the Secondary School. London: Sage
- Dymoke, S., & Harrison, J. (Eds.). (2008). Reflective Teaching and Learning: A Guide to Professional Issues for Beginning Secondary Teachers. London: Sage.
- Ghaye, T. (2011). Teaching and Learning through Reflective Practice: A Practical Guide for Positive Action, Second Edition. London: David Fulton.
- Lefstein, A., & Snell, J. (2013). Better than Best Practice. London: Routledge.
Many titles provide insight into the processes of learning to teach that goes beyond the acquisition of Standards and considers the importance of engaging with critical reflection. Three books in particular cite the importance of reflection.
- Muijs, D. and Reynolds, D. (2011) Effective Teaching: 3rd. Edition. London: Sage.
- Hayes, D. (2011) Foundations of Primary Teaching: 5th. Edition. London: David Fulton.
- Hansen, A. (2012) Primary Professional Studies. Exeter: Learning Matters
In addition to generic titles, there are also some titles which are more subject specific, for example:
- Kent, A. (2001). Reflective Practice in Geography Teaching. London: Sage